Beware of shipping costs!!

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Richard Hull

Beware of shipping costs!!

Post by Richard Hull »

I have, for the first time since 2004, had to buy from both Duniway and LDS vacuum. I was stunned and shocked at the shipping costs from $35.00 to $25.00 per order for just ordering two little flanges. Both prefer UPS shipping and have no option for first class mail. Be aware there is no more parcel post here in the U.S., which use to be relatively inexpensive. Marlin P. Jones can get a small 1-2 pound box of electronics goodies to me via first class mail for $7.00.

Note all my orders have each exceeded $100 from Duniway and LDS in the last month. (Thus it is well over any conceivable minimum) Their prices are good, with LDS being the very best outside of surplus or e-bay. on fittings and flanges. Just be advised that their shipping is rather steep and try to consolidate all your needs. I ordered twice this month from LDS and suffered $50.00 total in shipping for 3 small flanges!!!!

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
ian_krase

Re: Beware of shipping costs!!

Post by ian_krase »

Yes, LDS specifically is oddly expensive for shipping charges.
Dan Knapp

Post by Dan Knapp »

LDS says on their web page that they have free ground shipping for orders over $75. If they charged you for a $100 order, you should call them on it. They formerly offered free shipping to a university address, but changed it a while back to the same $75 minimum order. I’m not happy with their shipping charge, but I think they still have the lowest prices.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I ordered from LDS over the phone. Too bad....Free ground shipping for on line orders ONLY!

I'll remember that in future.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers »

Yes, LDS has lots of vacuum parts and their prices are good...
but their shipping has always been pretty high.

Not sure if shipping is part of their profit structure. If not, they should look into better options.
Rex Allers
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Again, free ground shipping on all LDS orders to anyone who meets their $70.00 minimum order. It is incredibly easy to spend $70 when buying vacuum stuff.

Free shipping.........PROVIDED YOU PLACE YOUR ORDER ON LINE!

Richard Hull
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

USPS still does have "parcel post" now called "USPS Retail Ground". But I believe that you have to drag the thing down to the post office to send it, something a large company isn't going to want to bother with.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Still, USPS first class is much cheaper than UPS ground for home delivery.

Richard Hull
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

Agreed, if it's less than 12 oz and can go first class small parcel, that is the way to do it.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”