TC Gauge: AC/DC heater

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
AngeloGomes

TC Gauge: AC/DC heater

Post by AngeloGomes »

I was wondering if a TC gauge, which was designed to use an AC heater, can be operated by using a DC heater instead.

I have several DV-3M gauges but the meter I have is designed for a DV-6. The problem is the meter electronics supplies at most 90mA while the DV3 requires 120mA and the induced voltage by the TC is 4 mV when it should be at least 9mV.
John Futter

Re: TC Gauge: AC/DC heater

Post by John Futter »

AC/DC doesn't matter
all that matters is heater power must be correct for the tube in use
Richard Hull

Re: TC Gauge: AC/DC heater

Post by Richard Hull »

Yes, the tubes are designed to operate at a specific current. Get that right by whatever means and you are close to the designed operating point. The meters are also scaled for a specific tube ONLY. They are more or less totally non-linear on the face, especially at the lower end, but in general, over their entire scale face. The bell Jar had a wonderful article about how to make and calibrate your own TC gauge meter with most any of the popular TC gauge tubes.

http://www.belljar.net/tcgauge.htm

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”