Oil options for rough pumps

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Mark Rowley

Re: Oil options for rough pumps

Post by Mark Rowley »

Bruce, for you to imply that I haven't changed pump oil in 17 years is comical at best and is strikingly similar to something one would see on facebook, sad. I contend you received a bad batch or there is a hardware issue. It's not bad advice. Tons of folks here have run HVAC pump oil without issue and your one report is the only documented outlier.

Mark Rowley
Victor Gonzalez

Post by Victor Gonzalez »

AngeloGomes wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:11 pm 220 BRL = 52 USD per liter....

No way...
I think you forgot how high your country taxation is.

1L of cheap HVAC on mercadolivre.com.br is R$40,00.
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

I will say this....if what you say is true, then my roughing pumps should be able to pull 5mTorr or below in my system if I opted for lab quality oil. But for a fusor, I dont see the immediate need for such a high performing roughing pump. Seems like a waste of money since the secondary will easily drop it below a mTorr. It's not benefitting the cash strapped rookie to constantly push for the pricey gold standard. It's common sense frugality and not to be confused with cutting corners.

Mark Rowley
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Just a point, I used regular HVAC oil in my 5CFM Yellow Jacket (bought the pump used), and it regularly could hit 8 microns on fusor II. I cannot say that I experimented with forepump oils, however.

All my oils for both direct drive and belt drive pumps were common oils recommended and commonly used in those pumps and all the oils were under $30 per gallon. All of my pumps have done well with the common oils, and I just will not use a pump that pumps above 12 microns at the head, regardless of pump or oil.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”