Edwards EXDC80 wiring question

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Andrew_Penhollow

Edwards EXDC80 wiring question

Post by Andrew_Penhollow »

Hi, I recently bought an Edwards EXDC80 controller for very cheap but it has had the 9 pin connector cut off. Does anyone have one that they could either open the 9 pin connector to tell me what color wire corresponds to what number pin on the connector or maybe ohm out the pins to help me identify which wire corresponds to what pin? Any help would be appreciated. I have contacted Edwards and they said they don't offer that kind of support.
Jim Stead

Re: Edwards EXDC80 wiring question

Post by Jim Stead »

The user manual explains the electrical connections. https://www.idealvac.com/files/manuals/ ... s-Data.pdf
Andrew_Penhollow

Jim Stead wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:33 pm The user manual explains the electrical connections. https://www.idealvac.com/files/manuals/ ... s-Data.pdf
No, that manual explains electrical connections assuming I have the 9 pin connector on the cable, which I do not. I just have wires on one end and the connection to the turbo on one end. I need more information than what is in the user manual, otherwise I wouldn't be asking.
Jim Stead

Post by Jim Stead »

I provided the link to the manual not knowing if you had it already. While it does not detail the color of the wires used for each connection, it does explain the connections and their purpose to the controller. I thought that would be helpful to you in figuring out what the wires did.

We know one of the wires is a ground. We know that wires 5&6 and 7&8 are paired. You should be able to isolate those with a multi-meter. You won't know which pair is 0v and which is 80v, but you'll know what colors the wires are (which in itself may yield a clue) and you can pull the cover off the controller and see what those pairs go to. Maybe a capacitor can show you which pair is which.

Once you get power into it, the manual says pin 1 will output voltage while it looks to be connected to 0v to start the pump. You can find that with a multi-meter. The remaining two connections could be figured out by testing under power, if you want to use them.
Jim Stead

Post by Jim Stead »

You'll also want to take a look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HzEHWKnOfw

At about 50 seconds into the video, you can see the power supply this guy setup. Looks like Red and Pink are your 7/8 80v pair, brown and green are your 5/6 0v pair, and yellow is the wire 1 switch connection.
Andrew_Penhollow

Jim thank you for being 1000x more helpful than Edwards! I will try to get it figured out tonight.

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”