Designing 100mbar vacuum system

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Peter Pakos

Designing 100mbar vacuum system

Post by Peter Pakos »

Hi,

I´m student of fluid engineering and in my diploma thesis I´m trying to design vacuum system which can evaporate 270kg/h of water at 50°C. I have studied physical laws of this topic but I have a lot of questions about this.

First question: Can I consider there is only water steam in system? Because my teacher told me that I should, but I think that would be ideal case and in every litteratury I had red was considering also air with steam .
Second: I suppose that using only water ring vacuum pump wouldn´t be so smart, because in that case I have to use very big vacuum pump which produce a lot of condense in it and the temperature difference of the service liquid would be about 38°C. I wonder use some condenser befor vacuum pump but I´m not sure how to select right one and how to calculate some parameters of it to create 100mbar vacuum. Then I would like to find out ratio of condensate and vapour . To evacuate vapour from condenser I would use small vacum pump. Is that possible? Could you give me a little advice about calculation or about rules of the designing this kind of system?

Thanks
Peter
Jerry Biehler

Re: Designing 100mbar vacuum system

Post by Jerry Biehler »

Water rings are good for dirty vacuum situations but are limited to the vapor pressure of the sealing liquid.

Just look up what they use for freeze drying. I am assuming you dont actually need to build it.

https://www.edwardsvacuum.com/uploadedF ... ion_LR.PDF
John Futter

Re: Designing 100mbar vacuum system

Post by John Futter »

Peter
You seem to have missed the rules section
Please change your logon and real name entries to your real full name
no handles or shortcuts allowed

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”