Bell and whistles diffusion pump based vacuum system.

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Richard Hull

Re: Bell and whistles diffusion pump based vacuum system.

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:28 pm

Varying odd ball OEM flanges and multiple "in country standards" will forever seem to force a lot of less well equipped amateur scientists with limited funds to adapt pieces of vacuum gear to mate with other surplus vacuum items. There are many good deals to be had surplus on the market. However, with no machining or welding skills, the average amateur is forced to pay machine shops to do what they cannot. This can sour a good deal bought for a great price to the point that it is no longer such a good deal. The two type flange adapters of more or less different, yet, "standard flanges", can solve some issues, but the adapters can cost a good bit of cash, themselves. This is most unfortunate for the more impoverished and unskilled young vacuum system assembler.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:49 pm

As a physics major in college (again, long ago), I was expected to go to the main machine shop and get guidence on machining the base plate and adapters for experimential equipment I needed.

Maciek Szymanski

Wiring the control panel

Post by Maciek Szymanski » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:05 pm

I’d like to have a fully manual control panel for the system. The panel will serve also as the switchboard for other equipment. All the component come or either from a dumpster or are bought cheaply from the army surplus. The most expensive part was the textolite board on which the whole thing is assembled.

Artem Artemow I think you should like the style ;-)

AC9C75EB-8A5B-43F2-85E7-036A9B0B2F0F.jpeg
The control panel installed on the trolley. The big rotary switch is the main isolation switch. Below are the fuses and main pilot lamp. The row of small rocker switches controls all the solenoid valves valves and the water circulation pump. Pilot lamps below the switches indicate the operation of valves equipped with position contacts. The big 3 phase switch with removed housing is for rotary vane pump and the rotary switch right to it is for the diffusion pump. The four mains sockets are for vacuum gauges and other experiment related equipment. The four pole socket is for rotary dump. Still not installed are multi pole sockets for valves.

5F6D54B0-7522-4784-8E9E-80BEC3F43084.jpeg
Wiring the panel on the backside.

55A95757-E3B4-45F0-82B6-99364EE51A7E.jpeg
The 3 phase motor switch with electromagnetic overload protection.

0E2A0673-2C7D-4116-B73C-A5EEC3897CED.jpeg
Machining of the capacitor bracket. For the solenoid valves there must be a supply of 220V pulste to activate the valve. This will be done by a bank of electrolytic capacitors charged to 220V when the valves are closed. This small textilste bridge will hold them on the backside of the panel.
“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.” ― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:45 pm

Talk about 'classic' controls! Right out of a 1930's Sci-Fi movie. Nice. While I used relays and push buttons in my orginal, there is something both 'classic build' and pleasent aspect to a control pannel with those manual controls (and just like in in Star Treck, going to "manual override" which their last effort against the computers, you can too ... ;) )

Artem Artemov

Post by Artem Artemov » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:09 am

A lot of retro. Haven't seen these things in a while.

The three-phase switch is very similar to the Soviet АП50Б. It was given to me when I was a child. All these parts have a huge margin of reliability. The Chinese switches I want to use can't boast of this. Not enough big arrow meters! )
Attachments
08941419-F360-48F0-B92B-DCF14DE6A8CF.jpeg
78817566-FF31-41F4-858E-940EBF01F605.jpeg

Maciek Szymanski

Post by Maciek Szymanski » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:46 am

The switch is indeed Soviet production АП50. As for the needle meters - they will come with the vacuum metering system and the HV supplies.
“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.” ― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Maciek Szymanski

Post by Maciek Szymanski » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:52 pm

The panel wiring is finished. Today I’ve tested some valves.

C5BDF14A-87AD-4A17-BD22-59021D906AE3.jpeg

D50B0E8E-F7A5-47ED-9068-E885CF5035D7.jpeg

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:13 pm

Proffesional wiring work; pictures appear very circa 1950's! Especially that type of wiring in your earlier color pic of a panel. The black and white pic's really adds to that sense. Today seems like through back Friday on posts.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:02 pm

The cable lacing is a very military WWII touch. Today, coiled plastic tube seathing is used or nylon zip ties. Nice work.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.