10x CHEAP TURBOS w/ controller (Pfeiffer TMH 261) on ebay ~$50

Use this forum to offer / scavenge for fusor parts
Andrew Seltzman

10x CHEAP TURBOS w/ controller (Pfeiffer TMH 261) on ebay ~$50

Post by Andrew Seltzman » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:12 pm

There are about 10 Pfeiffer TMH 261 Turbomolecular Vacuum Pumps with controllers on ebay ending within a few days, the bidding is at ~$30-$50 on them so far. Due to the large quantity the ending bids might be low (for a turbo). Now is the time if you want one.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=p ... r&_sacat=0
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org

Rich Feldman

Re: 10x CHEAP TURBOS w/ controller (Pfeiffer TMH 261) on ebay ~$50

Post by Rich Feldman » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:37 pm

Thanks for the tip, Andrew.

The seller's shipping fees are around $60. I rashly and impulsively placed one bid anyway.
Richard Feldman

Luke Harrill

Post by Luke Harrill » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:14 am

Is one model of actuator better than the other?

-Luke Harrill

Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:35 am

LOL, the servo drives have nothing to do with the turbos. I have no idea why they are paired up with them. The drive for the turbo is the silver block attached to the side of it.

You WILL need to replace the oil cartridge on these in the very least. They only have one bearing in the bottom which is not too hard to replace.

The pump runs off of 48v and you will need a power supply capable of 200W. The commercial supply used for it is a TPS200 or you can use a DCU 200 which has controls and a LCD display. The hirschmann power connectors are kind of a pain to find. You dont need the DCU to drive it, the TC600 has dry contact input to start it on the phoenix terminal block on the side of it. This is the older version of the TC600 which I have diagrams for somewhere.

Luke Harrill

Post by Luke Harrill » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:12 am

Thank you for the explanation! Now I know why I was confused lol. I didn't initially intend to use a turbo, but I will if the price is right. Apparently I have much more reading to do on these.

-Luke Harrill

ian_krase

Post by ian_krase » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:07 am

These lots of low-ish cost small turbos are the modern version of the cheap surplus diffpumps of days past.

Sadly, while it is very hard to kill a diffpump other than by losing the Christmas Tree, you never know what condition these things are in.

Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:40 am

So, a couple additional questions for Jerry or whoever else might know.

The hirschmann connectors are the odd 4-pin connectors on the back side of the TC600? Is that what brings the power into the controller?

These listings show a TIC-250 connecting to the TC600. Am I correct that this is not much use either, unless you have some reason you would want to control the turbo using Profibus?

I had thought that the Dynaserv servo driver (or whatever it is) didn't make sense for these turbos. Good to hear confirmation.
Rex Allers

Chris Giles

Post by Chris Giles » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:48 pm

$360! Not such a bargain, but maybe after a few have gone people will be less excited. Anyway, I have a TMU260 which I am in process of setting up, so if anyone wants to know about the wiring etc I will soon be familiar with it!

Any suggestion where to buy the lubricant pot for a reasonable price, ideally in Europe? Here it is $99 which seems a bit steep, especially if it might not need replacing...

Andrew Seltzman

Post by Andrew Seltzman » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:14 am

$300-360 for the first 3, which for a turbo with a built in controller and a 30 day right of return actually IS a really good deal. If it dosen't work you can return it, which is more then you typically get with even more expensive turbos.
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org

Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:43 am

Its a good price, I have bought used leybold 700l/s pumps from ebay for about $600. I would almost consider getting one of these for my SEM, I recently stuck a really old pfeiffer on there to replace the varian 300 that developed bad bearings.

Yes, the hirshmann connector is the black square one. More common in germany and it is an odd keying that is not the same as the ones you can find on ebay. I have modified the ones on ebay to work though. Pfeiffer uses the 6 pin versions on their gauge heads too.

Yeah, the profibus adapter is pretty useless. The turbo has a rs-485 port on it and you can talk to that though a USB-rs485 adapter. There is a manual online listing the serial commands for the drive. Might be easy to write a python script to interface if you want to change any drive parameters.