Proposal of a new type of electrostatic confinement reactor able to produce nuclear fusions with an efficiency superior

It may be difficult to separate "theory" from "application," but let''s see if this helps facilitate the discussion.
Patrick Lindecker

Re: Proposal of a new type of electrostatic confinement reactor able to produce nuclear fusions with an efficiency super

Post by Patrick Lindecker » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:05 am

Hello Frank and Richard,

>I believe you are trying to differentiate between (rendement) yield ( like the nomenclature used in nuclear weapons) and
>efficiency which is a thermodynamic property.

Yes "yield" seems well. I adopt it. Thanks.

>The problem being the thermodynamic summation of all of that. While the yield is huge per productive collision, there are
>statistically near zero productive collisions in comparison to unproductive ones.

The unproductive ones are either the collisions on neutrals and there is a true loss of energy so the pressure of gaz must be extremely low (so in basis I suppose 10 pPa, which is the presseure at about 10000 km from Earth).
But the very big problem is "charge exchange" between an ion and a neutral because the cross section is very high and so the probablity elevated.
The Coulomb collisions are different because it is a thermalization of energy (the average energy is the same, but its distribution varies), a bit as space charge which thermalize energy (moreover this effect is to un-concentrate the ions beam).
The ionisation and dissociation ones are very few is the gas pressure is low.

What I propose is to make loss of energy less that gain of energy, using very high voltage and very low gaz pressure (this, in theory, via a simulator, of course...).

>I doubt that the 21st century will see and fusion energy either.
We have the international ITER in France and its successor has big chance to produce electricity before long (at least it's my hope). However, to rapidly go to Mars this will not be the solution... Reversely an electrostatic confinement is the solution because it is light and if you use aneutronic fusion (H+ <-> B11+) you will be able to use direct conversion system with an efficiency better than 0.9, this because all the fusion products (He4) will have a charge (with no, or almost no neutrons emitted).

Patrick

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Re: Proposal of a new type of electrostatic confinement reactor able to produce nuclear fusions with an efficiency super

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:04 pm

P + B11 is a dream that no one is realistically working on. We can't even do the easiest of all fusions T + D and make it go. Not much to say for ITER either. It is a giant money pit headed for failure with plenty of good and viable excuses when it doesn't pan out, but there is always that new thing just around the bend. We just need more money to make it happen.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.