Anyone recognize what type of flange this is?

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Geoffrey Thomas

Anyone recognize what type of flange this is?

Post by Geoffrey Thomas » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:53 am

I bought a bunch of these at a flea market for $3 total. 50mm outer diameter, ~42 mm o ring diameter. I don't think it's for vacuum systems (more likely has positive pressure applications), but thought I'd double check.

Thanks,

GT
Attachments
IMG_20180624_204601.jpg
IMG_20180624_204225.jpg
When you are asked if you can do a job, tell 'em, 'Certainly I can!' Then get busy and find out how to do it. -Theodore Roosevelt

Rich Feldman

Re: Anyone recognize what type of flange this is?

Post by Rich Feldman » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:44 am

See if they match the standard dimensions for "Sanitary" flange fittings. For example, in the drawings here:
https://www.buyfittingsonline.com/sizin ... ences.aspx

You might use sanitary fittings in a dairy or a soup factory. As with high vacuum parts, you want the inside walls to be smooth and easy to clean. When the catalog has elbows, tees, and crosses without flanges, they are for welded joints just as with vacuum plumbing.
https://hollandaptblog.com/2013/09/27/w ... -sanitary/
san.PNG
I work on electronic products that use sanitary fittings for aqueous coolant. The mech. engineers were intrigued by the similarity of some KF fittings I brought in, which support the O-ring seals against external pressure.
Richard Feldman

Geoffrey Thomas

Post by Geoffrey Thomas » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:06 am

Thanks Rich.

Yep. That looks to be what they are. kind of surprised honestly since most of the stuff is marked "316l" and is wrapped in the same heat tape all of my CF gear is covered in, with the high temp white nylon braid covering the nichrome.

At least I got some good bakeout coils for the $3 I suppose...

Thanks,

GT
When you are asked if you can do a job, tell 'em, 'Certainly I can!' Then get busy and find out how to do it. -Theodore Roosevelt

Lukas Springer

Post by Lukas Springer » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:26 am

I'm not 100% sure, but compare the dimensions of "tri-clamp" with your flange, that might be it.

ian_krase

Post by ian_krase » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:33 am

Yeah, that definitely looks like a sanitary ("milk pipe") flange to me.

I have seen them used in vacuum work in rare situations, mostly in things like the separation to open up foreline traps for replacing the media.

Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:34 pm

Thanks, Lukas.
I hadn't previously heard the name tri-clamp for what appears to be the identical standard.
Another popular name seems to be Tri Clover, as used for example by this brewery supplies company: https://www.brewershardware.com/Sanitary-Fittings/
The clamps all seem to have one hinge. Maybe the tri names come from an original brand, kind of like the Schrader valve.
Richard Feldman