Maybe someone can help?

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
John Futter

Re: Maybe someone can help?

Post by John Futter »

I see that you have trouble reading
Please note the first two rules for people using this site

1) The first rule of membership in these forums is: you must create your account using your real, full, first AND last names as the LogIn/UserID for your account. If your name is John Smith, your UserID (i.e. login handle) must be John Smith, or John_Smith. This is the name that will appear in the forum listings. “JSmith” or “JohnS” or “JS997” or “handles” like “MrFusion” or “ProtonBoy” are NOT permitted. New accounts that do not adhere to this simple rule will be summarily deleted without any further consideration. Any questions? OK, rolling right along…

2) New members are required to introduce themselves in the "Please Introduce Yourself" forum prior to posting elsewhere on the site.
DaveFromColorado

Post by DaveFromColorado »

Okay ... go ahead and delete my profile, delete my post, I'll go ahead and find another resource. I can read, but I had been obviously excited about this idea so I posted it shortly before my introduction.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Sadly, another person departs because they did not like criticism for failure to follow the most basic rules of introduction and full information. Life is filled with rules. Living within them is usually a good idea. The rules here at fusor.net were for the good of all and will continue to be a good idea and enforced. Free spirits who don't like rules are welcome to become free spirits as it is a big wide world out there with niches and slots for all.

We are a group of serious folks doing serious work and this work is filled with rules. Scientific rules. If one can't follow simple entry rules, what scientific rules is one willing to ignore to their peril or injury. We both teach and learn through the doing. Doing can be dangerous with rules aplenty.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
JoeBallantyne

Post by JoeBallantyne »

Yes, but there is nothing wrong with being nice about letting folks know about the real name username rule.

When people get jumped on after their first post, they feel bad, and may leave.

And that is unfortunate. It is not good for them, and we lose a potential contributor.

Which I don't think is the point of this forum.

Joe.
Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers »

Joe,

I posted an alternative (somewhat lengthy) reply that tries to address this issue in the 'Zeke' thread. (Zeke, sorry if your thread got hijacked but hope you do change your user name.)

As we get new members there are always many who have agreed to the forum rules by clicking in the registration process but have not actually read the rules they are agreeing to, and then use unacceptable user names.

So, Joe, please look in the Zeke thread and reply in that thread if you have any opinions about addressing this recurrent new user problem.
Rex Allers
ian_krase

Post by ian_krase »

Possibly we should have an automatic system for locking people in the welcome thread until approved, maybe by getting a couple of votes from users who have been around for a while?

One issue is that the internet culture has changed quite a bit -- the mainstreamness of social media is leading to a different sort of Eternal September. This is added to the fact that most people are so used to *never ever* using their real name on the internet (except on Facebook). Bulletin board systems like this are an unfamiliar relic to many people who are in high school now. People who are more familiar with Reddit won't realize the challenge of low-quality questions and don't have the feedback from voting.

Can we put a huge red text on the registration page saying, "Fusor.net has some strict rules, which might be unfamiliar. Make sure to read all of this page, or you will be banned".

I do think we would do well to turn down the snark a notch -- from their perspective, we're the weird ones, and the registration page has a bit much legalese that many people tune out. They come with completely different assumptions about what is important.

However, it's unfortunate that this is such a problem, and clutter due to eternal-september FAQ questions really does detract from the board.
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

A lot of the problem is that people are used to systems that do not allow a space in the login name, and some even crab about the underline character, so that's why they resort to other names. I was under this misconception and my login name was br2600, but in the space provided for "Real name" I used my real name, so I guess that's why I did not get jumped on as hard. I quickly changed the login name to "Bob Reite" when I was told that spaces will work and to my pleasant surprise, my old posts were still linked to me, because of the way phpbb indexes things.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
Nicolas Krause

Post by Nicolas Krause »

As a relative newbie, and learner on the forum I'd like to add my two cents and say that strict enforcement of the rules really does improve the forums. I know every post I click on will have useful information for me, the discussions are worthwhile, and I always learn something. I spent a lot of time reading before I registered, and if I'd had to hunt through different user names, and miscategorized posts it would have been that much harder. Its great that people want to contribute, but this is one of the few places online that seems to have some sort of order and I think a lot of that has to do with quick enforcement of the rules. I can understand concern about upsetting individuals, but if they get upset at someone telling them to check the rules they probably weren't that engaged to begin with. I've read a bit about Usenet and I'm worried an eternal september could occur hear on Fusor.net. I think that strict enforcement helps prevent that possibility.
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Thanks Nicolas
this is why I keep doing this

www.fusor.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10162&start=10

Very troll like

If this sort of thing is not stopped quickly the whole board will lokk like this with good stuff buried deep in mire

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”