Feedback on an auction: Leybld Turbovac 50 + D4B + Controller + Appendage

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Pascal Mueller

Feedback on an auction: Leybld Turbovac 50 + D4B + Controller + Appendage

Post by Pascal Mueller »

Hi,

so me again. So luckily a new "auction" popped up on my radar which seems to be a good deal, but I have some questions. I made a new thread since it's a new pump.

The following is being sold here:
  • Leybold Turbovac 50 with air cooler and tube to the D4B
  • Leybold D4B + AF 8 "oil separater"
  • Controller with cable but without NT13
Everything was one big system that worked. It was take from a "pump trolley" (can't really say what exactly that means). The thing is, that it was removed from the pump trolley 4 years ago. It was then moved to a dry storage. It did work fine back in the days. It was not tested anymore. Should that concern me?

Now a bit more about the controller. The controller had an NT13 in it (from my research, that's the frequency converter, I think this is needed since the Turbovac 50 is a 3-phase pump.) Apparently, I can get the two pumps runned "in sync" using the "rest" of the controller.

I am a bit confused here. He couldn't name me the type of the controller. He said, that he thinks, that the controller was kind of "custom made" for the "pump trolley". the NT13 is missing since he already sold it.

So I think I basically can get it running if I somehow manage to get 3-phase electric power.

There's even a second auction which might sell me the NT13, and then I am fine. Even if the whole controller doesn't work I could build it myself. See here.

Price: About 400$ for everything. In details: 200$ for the D4B, 160$ for the Turbovac 50 and about 40$ for the controller. (Maybe a bit more, not sure.)

All you see on the pics is included. (Note the missing NT13 in the controller, crossed out by red.)

Also, the controller has 2 damages. A damaged eyelet (doesn't matter), and a damaged bracket (the grey ones), apparently, that's an output for the electrical power (probabl for the NT13, but I am just guessing here)

Question 1:
Anyway, assuming I can build the controller myself if this one doesn't work, is it still a good offer?

Question 2:
If the NT13 really just provides 3-phase electrical power, can I easily use a different generator here?

Question 3:
If stored dry and correctly, should that somehow hurt the pump? Assuming it also wasn't used all these years?
Attachments
pump3.JPG
pump3.JPG (13.27 KiB) Viewed 366281 times
pump2.JPG
pump2.JPG (12.25 KiB) Viewed 366281 times
pump1.JPG
pump1.JPG (10.04 KiB) Viewed 366281 times
d4b5.JPG
d4b4.JPG
d4b3.JPG
d4b3.JPG (11.91 KiB) Viewed 366281 times
d4b2.JPG
d4b2.JPG (11.12 KiB) Viewed 366281 times
d4b1.JPG
d4b1.JPG (11.71 KiB) Viewed 366281 times
controller5.JPG
controller5.JPG (8.68 KiB) Viewed 366281 times
controller4.JPG
controller4.JPG (9.36 KiB) Viewed 366281 times
controller3.JPG
controller3.JPG (7.66 KiB) Viewed 366281 times
controller2.JPG
controller2.JPG (12.56 KiB) Viewed 366281 times
controller1.JPG
controller1.JPG (13.31 KiB) Viewed 366281 times
John Futter

Re: Feedback on an auction: Leybld Turbovac 50 + D4B + Controller + Appendage

Post by John Futter »

You have the TMP150
why not ty and find a NT20 controller
these are much more robust than the NT10 /NT13 as used for the tmp50. It is the bad design of the NT10 and NT13 that makes them extremely rare to find surplus as most have already blown up. That is why I designed a universal controller @ work to power the Leybold family of pumps.

see
http://www.coultersmithing.com/forums/v ... 1&start=20

http://www.coultersmithing.com/forums/v ... 5&start=20

http://www.coultersmithing.com/forums/v ... controller
Pascal Mueller

Post by Pascal Mueller »

I don't have the TMP 150 yet. Also I am missing a pre-pump. I just look for any kind of pumps.

Isn't the Turbovac 50 (160$) and D4B (200$) a good deal? How can storing them for like 4 years affect their functionality?
Chris Giles

Post by Chris Giles »

..but then you'd have two different turbos and no controller. Hold out for the controller for the one you have and in the meantime look for a decent backing pump. There is a lot of info on them in the FAQ. I believe any of the different types of backing pump should be run a bit at least every year, so that one may not be a great deal after all. I suggest decide on models of backing pump to look for and satisfy your ebay addiction looking for those and the controller :)

BTW, unless you are an experienced electronics engineer i would avoid building a controller or even trying to fix a broken one. Even if you can do this, it would be time consuming.
Pascal Mueller

Post by Pascal Mueller »

I don't own any pump yet. And from what I've read the Turbovac 50 and D4B fit good together. No? So having both in obe would be nice.

I do mainly look for a backibg pump but also everythibg else in case I see something nice. And a Turbovac 50 + fitting backing pump for 360$ sound good.

I'd like to avoid building my own controller although it'd be fun.

So would you recommend against buying it? It a bit sad that it was stored that long.

Also: what about question 2?
Chris Giles

Post by Chris Giles »

Hi Pascal

sorry, I misunderstood. I don't know these particular pumps. Probably a good deal then. The turbos and controllers tend to be sold separately so sooner or later you should find one.
I found this which says it needs "NT10":
http://www.ptbsales.com/oerlikon-leybol ... ity-chart/
also says the same here:
https://www.leyboldproducts.com/media/p ... MAG_EN.pdf

Manuals here:
https://www.lesker.com/newweb/vacuum_pu ... manual.pdf
https://www.idealvac.com/files/brochure ... ctions.pdf

The turbo controllers are single-phase. They may run on 110-240V or be US/EUR versions. They are called "frequency converters" as they rectify the mains then convert to the appropriate frequency for the current rotational speed of the pump (i.e. variable). This is a type of VFD (variable frequency drive) which you will more commonly see used to drive 3-phase motors.

The storage isn't ideal. I would consider it a bit of a risk. Maybe others can comment how much of a problem that might be. You could get it, work on the backing pump and lookout for the controller.

Best regards
Chris

Return to “New User Chat Area”