Hello world

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Sean Sasso

Hello world

Post by Sean Sasso »

Hi everyone,

I found this site after googling and reading about different devices that can produce fusion. I'm 25 and have always been interested in space travel, and it seems that fusion would be a tremendous boost to our current capabilities. I'm still learning about the physics behind this all and I look forward to learning from this community.

Sean
RealBorg

Re: Hello world

Post by RealBorg »

Hi Sean,

welcome here. I too believe that a IEC fusion device could become a valuable propulsion for spaceflight.
A balloon switching to an fusion thruster when it reaches the upper atmosphere sound much more elegant to me than a heavy piece of metal surfing a controlled explosion.
Additionally an interstellar spacecraft powered by an IEC device could collect it's fuel on the way, there's plenty of hydrogen.

Tom
Jack Puntawong

Post by Jack Puntawong »

Welcome,

if you are interested in IEC space propulsion. You should look up Professor George Miley at UIUC. He is an expert in this field (I might be subjective cause I help him out in the lab though).

Cheers!

Jack Puntawong
RealBorg

Post by RealBorg »

Hi Jack,

since you seem to know him personally, would you volunteer to get Prof. George Miley join the conversation here and / or organize a phone conference with him?

TIA
Tom
Sean Sasso

Post by Sean Sasso »

Hi Tom and Jack, great to meet you two.

Tom, that's an interesting idea. Though I think a balloon large enough to carry a spacecraft with a fusion reactor might be too large. For example, Felix Baumgartner's capsule weighed about 2,900 lbs and required a 300' by 400' balloon to lift it up to 120k feet.

Jack- I'm familiar with some of Prof Miley's work. It's very good stuff. I'm merely a curious amateur in all of this but I bet I could learn a lot from the both of you.

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”