Creation, usage, and destruction of a cathode

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Richard Hull

Re: Creation, usage, and destruction of a cathode

Post by Richard Hull »

A calibrated ion chamber is needed to get a true idea of just how much x-radiation is around. GM counters are not good for this work. At best, as long as they are not locking up, (saturated), They are only qualitative in nature.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Enzo Carter

Post by Enzo Carter »

We made a HV acrylic safety shield thanks to all of the friendly advice here. I don't want to spend the holidays dead.

Enzo-HV-Acrylic-Thumbnail-IMG_4047_sm.jpg
video:
https://youtu.be/5v3flwlnobc

ps; how do i embed a youtube video as thumb?
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Slate shielding, like lead is only useful for x-rays - certainly such shielding is required for fusors using 40 kV or higher. Slate, besides its ease of cutting, looks good and like acrylic, is good as a high voltage shield as well. The plastic shield you are using is more effective against neutrons than an inch of lead. Paraffin is best; however, since it is unlikely that your fusor will produce any significant neutron radiation hazard, your acrylic shield is ok. I can't say this enough - a young child is far more susceptible to the damaging effects of x-ray radiation so extra precautions are warranted. Use shielding, minimize dose, keep as far away as feasible and yes, get a calibrated detector (I did.) Like lethal voltages, one gets only once chance (and the last one, too) with dangerous levels of radiation. Dosage is cumulative so error on the side of caution.

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”