web site problem

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Bob Reite

Re: web site problem

Post by Bob Reite » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:18 pm

Ah yes! l looked over the phpbb documenation and within that, you can restrict bots more effectively than a robots.txt fie.

Oh! The guy who runs market-ticker.org put an interesting trap in his robots.txt file! He has a directive NOT to index "guest.html" . If that is ignored by a bot (or nosy human) the originating IP address gets banned for life. I would imagine that his ban list is pretty large by now.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:21 pm

As Andrew noted, I,too, get logged out after a certain period of time. I think it is weeks or maybe a couple of months. It is no big hassle to log back in and ask to be remembered. It is just annoying.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:27 am

I concur with the steps that Frank has taken here. I appreciate Andrew's comments as well, but it seems to me that what Frank has done is cordon of the things that should require somebody to enroll, like "introduction and chat area, and the advanced discussion area." If it helps to manage the traffic (and associated costs), then I think these are reasonable measures and should not create an undue burden or obstacle for visitors with a genuine interest.

It seems to me that the primary mission of this site is to maintain a long-term public interest in the idea of "DIY fusion." Just those two words together invokes a certain renegade quality that I pokes a healthy thumb in the eye of the "fusion requires billions" crowd. I mean, how amazing is it that somebody can visit a website and do the impossible - nuclear fusion - in their basement, garage or.... "playroom." This has a valuable cultural impact in normalizing the idea that fusion is not impossible (even if, as Richard likes to say, useful fusion is "20 years in the future and always will be..." Hey, this site has been around for... oh, right... 20 years now.... never mind).

Incidents like the recent Jackson Oswalt flap pose some novel challenges which I think are being well addressed without compromising that core mission.

Y'all carry on now.

--P
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television - http://farnovision.com/book.html
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 50 years in the past and we missed it."

JoeBallantyne

Post by JoeBallantyne » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:07 am

I would like to second Andrew's request to enable the active topics button when not logged in.

I have been using this site for many years, and never logged in, except when I decided to make a post. Which was infrequently.

It was very nice to be able to track what was going on, without having to login. But the best way to do that is to look at active posts, and you can't do that anymore without being logged in.

Frank, could you make that possible again?

Thanks.

Joe.

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:07 am

I am a little surprised at the pushback on the login. Very early on, due to requests at the time, I enabled auto login for the site. Once the "remember me" box is clicked, you need not log in again for a month. Just come to the site and you are automatically logged in with nothing necessary to do. No passwords or any other action.

It seemed that logging in 12 times a year was too many times for people so I extended the time before another login was necessary. To jump to now, login is only required 3 times a year (every 4 months).

The long time between login is not the best thing to be doing. For one, people are less likely to remember or find their password if too much time passes . I get messages to reset passwords members' passwords while others make new screen names and do it again. Then there is the security threat to those using a public computer and do not log out. Their account could theoretically then be accessed for up to months by somebody else.

The question posed to me is, can I enable search or active post functions for a non-logged in person and the answer is yes I can. My question though, is why is it necessary if login is persistent for all members and no different action is required to access the site than just showing up?

I am willing to consider it but by doing so, it opens a potential path for search engines and spammers to have access to a large amount of Realestate that does nothing to help any of us and can only drive up extraneous traffic and increase the noise on our site.

Like I said, I am all ears but have not yet heard a compelling argument to open the floodgates site wide again.

John Futter

Post by John Futter » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:51 am

Frank
well done
I do not know why

but maybe the rules are a little cryptic for some / most / or too hidden
I see we have an old hand "Larry" registering a new persona
that does not fit the new rules.

I feel for you
John

Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:07 am

Just skipped logging in, having checked "remember me" for the first time in previous visit.
Feels weird and unsafe to do that, but it seems to work. Yay!

Haven't got a compelling argument about why re-opening the floodgates would be good.
But have always felt that many unregistered lurkors got the benefit of browsing fusor.net, on at least a semi-regular basis.
How bad would it be if we let them see the pictures, even some sub-forums remain off limits?

-Rich
Mike echo oscar whisky! I repeat! Mike echo oscar whisky, how do you copy? Over.

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:50 am

It was never the intent to limit photos to guests or anybody else. There are many very valuable photos on the site. Not seeing the photos was an unintended and unnoticed consequence to other changes. It is all fixed now. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:47 pm

Frank,

You should consider removing the trading post without login too. Only makes sense. They would need an account to reply anyways. Of course it technically leaves out the few guests that see something they want and create an account just for purposes of buying the item, but I see this scenario as being the minority. In my opinion, for the most part, individuals using the trading post will already be members.
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!