Straw Poll / Proposal for San Francisco Area mini-meetup

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
ian_krase

Re: Straw Poll / Proposal for San Francisco Area mini-meetup

Post by ian_krase » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:32 pm

How about the 26th?

Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:30 pm

That would be OK here. Is 19th out for you, Ian?
Mike echo oscar whisky! I repeat! Mike echo oscar whisky, how do you copy? Over.

ian_krase

Post by ian_krase » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:42 pm

It's not great for me.

Samuel Berman

Post by Samuel Berman » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:45 pm

The 26th should work.
Samuel Berman

ian_krase

Post by ian_krase » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:59 am

Excellent.

26th of January, starting at noon, Round Table Pizza at The Alameda in Santa Clara.

ian_krase

Post by ian_krase » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:09 am

In a frustrating turn of events, I won't be able to make it to my own event.

I'm really sorry.

Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:30 am

I haven't posted earlier. Just saying I'm usually pretty flexible and am monitoring to see if you guys with lives can come to a consensus. :-)

I will reply if we get close to a mutual date.
Rex Allers

Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:25 am

I'll be at DesignCon on January 29–31, 2019 (Santa Clara Convention Center)

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:20 pm

I mean nothing derogatory, but state a rather curious observation I have noted over the years. I have followed this thread through its bumps, fits, starts and stops. You folks in CA. have tried a number of times to get together and it has seemed to crumble after many attempts. I truly feel sorry for you guys.

Here, we have had a minimum of 10 locals in HEAS and gather each month on one Sunday chosen by myself or one other fellow whose home where we can meet. It has become 9 meeting months at my home and lab and 3 months at the other guys home and lab. This has been the case since 1985 mostly with the same guys, with a new guy coming in once a year or so and another moving away,etc. One fellow, drives in from Farmville 1.5 hours drive, another from Arlington 2 hours. This occurs almost every month for these two. These are very informal, but productive show and tells and micro flea-markets just before the meeting.

There are enough in our little local group to always have 5-12 show up each month. Those who can't show up, well it is just toughski stuffski. These folks miss a cool time, free munchies and fellowship in the sciences some sales opportunities, buying opportunities and free stuff opportunities.

This coming Sunday I will have two guys, who live near me, show up at 8AM to ride with me the 25 miles to the Chesterfield Country location of a Cracker Barrel for the HEAS "early bird" breakfast of about 6 total HEAS guys. We will then drive another 4 miles to the other fellow's lab and home and the meeting will start at 12 noon, as it always does, when another 3-4 people will show up. I pick up the $4.00 in toll road fees to go and come from this meeting. After all, the meeting is the thing!

With CA being the home of high tech, you might think a huge group in the biggest cities might evolve like HEAS. I remember the huge meetings of the West Coast computer clubs in CA in the 1970's with members like Woz and Jobs and other future leaders. What a blast that must have been! Who founded it? Who was its "spark plug"? He was "the guy"! Did Woz meet Jobs there? What if they had never met?

I truly believe it takes a real "spark plug"..... Someone dedicated to start and keep something like these groups alive. Are there no spark plugs in CA like there used to be? Perhaps just making enough money to live there with a young family keeps the nose to the grindstone. This might be it.

Regardless, all the best on actually getting together at the same place and the same time just once to talk about stuff you all enjoy with pizza.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

ian_krase

Post by ian_krase » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:49 am

That's a little surprising -- sometimes I feel like I have the Inverse Midas Touch when planning informal get-togethers, meetups, and parties. And yet plan I try.

I think for many people, making money for even a single person keeps the nose to the grindstone. If I had my own house, I would host the meetups there and some Actual Fusion could happen. But, I don't -- planning for this to change, actually, as I'm going to try to live the Doug Coulter life before too long has passed, but then I'll be in a (mildly) isolated location.

To some degree, I don't feel like CA is the home of high tech anymore. Things change, move on, become either decadant or merely prosaic.