HEAS 2018 invitation sign up time

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Richard Hull
Site Admin

HEAS 2018 invitation sign up time

Post by Richard Hull » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:32 pm

This is the open invitation period for attending the 29th yearly High Energy Amateur Science conference and gathering.

As always it is to be held at my lab in Richmond Va on the first Saturday in October, which is the 6th of October 2018.
You must contact me via e-mail if you wish to attend. If you are not on our registration list, you cannot attend as we have only a limited number of people we can handle here at my home and lab. If you are interested and plan to attend e-mail me your firm commitment and I will forward a three page document with your invitation in a return email.

Many on these forums have attended before and still need to confirm that you will be here.

For those who are new to Fusor.net, you can get the flavor of what goes on by going backwards in the image Du Jour forum to all early October postings for all past years to see the images.

There will be the usual $10.00 attendance fee collected only on the day of the event to cover the free sodas and munchies we provide.

So RSVP ASAP if you want to attend.

Richard Hull
hull7103@comcast.net

P.S. bring a gang o' dough as I plan on unloading a lot of my books, instruments, NIM gear, vacuum stuff. I just have far too much here.
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

ian_krase

Re: HEAS 2018 invitation sign up time

Post by ian_krase » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:48 am

Is it *only* the 6th? Can you post any notes on transportation and lodging?

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:00 pm

There has always been a Friday evening gathering for those in motels arriving on the day before. After 4 PM on Friday we gather and chat until about 6PM and then take an hour and a half off Until 7:30 when the lab opens back up until about midnight. Saturday is the big day.

As the last person typically leaves the lab around 3AM Sunday morning, Sunday is a dead day. I sleep until about 3 PM and then clean up and restore the wreakage of the past 48 hours, etc.

send me an e-mail and I will forward particulars. The airport is about 20 miles from my home and I imagine Uber can be called or there are taxi's and of course rental cars. For those managing to make it to the many motels in the area less than a mile from me with no transport, you need to contact someone at the gatherings who are staying at your motel or at a nearby one who can ferry you back and forth to your motel from the meeting and follow there exact time to pick you up or take you back. I will be far too busy as host taking care of issues and folks on site to ferry folks around.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:03 am

I have just now sent out all the formal invitations via e-mail to those who attended last year from fusor.net.

If you did not get an invitation via your e-mail and attended HEAS 2017. Let me know.

We are filling up fast this year.

Richard Hull

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:14 am

It is always an interesting adventure at Richard's. There are demonstrations, presentations, plenty to buy and sell of specialty items of all kinds, and many members to meet up with. If you have not been to one, you might consider it. I am not sure how many more Richard can tolerate of all of us. His meet ups that have spanned decades. I know you reevaluate each year but I hope you continue for many more. We really appreciate all that you do to host the HEAS.

Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:59 am

Frank Sanns wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:14 am
I know you reevaluate each year but I hope you continue for many more. We really appreciate all that you do to host the HEAS.
I concur... Three cheers for Richard! Please keep it up!
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:18 pm

Last call on the 2018 HEAS event. We are now less than a month away from the big event. I am going to close out the invitations in a week as I have to get the finished list of attendees to Andrew for name tag creation. If you want in, contact me now.

Richard Hull

Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:05 pm

I always make a few blank tags for accidental missed names or late signups, but if Richard says he's closing signup in a week, then go with that. He's boss. Just throwing that FYI out there.

Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:08 pm

Ha... Dont read too much into this >;-) muhahaha
666.PNG
666.PNG (37.26 KiB) Viewed 571 times

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:14 am

I have tonnage that must go!!

I am digging and uncovering tons of stuff I have hoarded over the years and will now get rid of as HEAS.
1. For those interested who drive here, leave lots of room for hauling.
2. For those flying in and want a lot of bulk to take home or even the odd heavy-ish item, there is an official UPS packaging store about 1 mile from my home. So you can ship stuff back if it won't go in your luggage.
3. I will include a list of just some of the things I have for sale below, so bring wads of cash.

Partial listing

Tesla coiling stuff................................

Large heavy 3kw potential transformers 12 kv
copper terminals and insulators
Working rotary gaps
Rotary gap synchronous AC motors
A motor used to make a secondary winding machine.
A few smaller secondary coils
Tesla coil HV capacitors .001 - .05ufd
Teflon wire
some magnet wire
Some few remaining neon Transformers.
Massive heat sinks for multi-KW Tesla electronic drivers.
high power blocked IGBTs, High power Darlingtons, etc.
Variacs - lots of 'em

Impulse discharge capacitors......

Sangamo 300 joule caps. 33ufd
Water arc explosion system complete

Fusor related.......

vacuum pumps 3 of them.
vacuum gauges
insulators
ceramic to metal and glass to metal vacuum seals.
8" fusor makings kit with 10-inch conflat rings to match two 8 inch SS hemispheres (you gotta' be serious)
My original fusor III reactor
10" kimax bell jar I paid $600 for it and never used it. New in box.
700 lb 60kv DC 50 ma power supply.
two rack Spellman 0-50kv @5ma power supply.
Nim Crates and modules
Keithley Electrometers
Vacuum tube and modern soild state counters, signal generators, etc.
Elements for collectors, etc.
At the right price I can let go of a neutron counter or 3He tube.
Variacs - Lots of 'em

Robotics.......

Robot motors from those strong enough to carry a man to smaller robotic motors with mating wheels
Wheels
gear boxes
differetials

Books
I am thinning out my library of nuclear related books.

The usual GM counters, Trinitite, U ore, and many other electronic goodies

I might expand this list as I uncover stuff.

Richard Hull