Vacuum Pump

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Pablo Llaguno

Vacuum Pump

Post by Pablo Llaguno »

I have been looking for a nice used vacuum pump, but haven't found something at the price point I want. I found this precision scientific pump https://www.ebay.com/itm/Precision-Scie ... rk:13:pf:0

It says it does pump down below 100microns, so that would be pretty much enough to power the secondary pump (diff or turbo). What concerns me is oil leakage, which I think is due to the seal in the oil reservoir, which would be easy to repair. However, I don't know if it's too risky. Opinions?
Richard Hull

Re: Vacuum Pump

Post by Richard Hull »

At 31 microns, it is OK. I have a precision 5CFM On my fusor that has only had 3 refills in 14 years and it still hits 10 microns. They are good pumps, right up there with Welch and Leybold and Edwards. If the oil is seeping from the oil reservoir, it is and easy fix. If it from the rotory shaft seal, a minimal rebuild kit would be in order. The price seems right. postage may be stiff.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Pablo Llaguno

Re: Vacuum Pump

Post by Pablo Llaguno »

Pump arrived and it didn't disappoint.

At this point, it probably has 2 hours of running with a synthetic vacuum pump oil I got for $8 locally. At the head, with my MKS901p gauge, it reads 2 microns in less than 5 minutes. I got a winner :D

Return to “New User Chat Area”