hello from New Hampshire

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
TerryJSaunders

hello from New Hampshire

Post by TerryJSaunders »

My name is Terry Saunders.

I work as a machinist and am a Mechanical Designer researching reactors for space flight. Most of what I have done so far is theoretical study. I will come up with an idea and try to find similar research. I usually find enough information to piece together what I was missing or someone has found the design flaw. I find I always learn something.

I am currently working on reactor lining techniques and mechanisms to keep everything within the vacuum chamber. I recently found a paper out of Malaysia that studied the enhanced shielding properties of ferro-boron concrete. Its always great finding new information.

Fly safe.
TerryJSaunders

Re: hello from New Hampshire

Post by TerryJSaunders »

I am planning on building a basic fusor. I have worked with Plasma cleaning chambers and induction furnaces but have never built one myself. The fusor looks like an ideal project to get experience building High voltage and vacuum devices. I have a few old ac units and microwaves to scavenge components from.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

AC compressors used a vacuum pumps are not good enough. Extremely good condition refrigeration vacuum pumps might suffice to make a demo fusor, but not a fusion reactor a second pump of the diffusion or turbo molecular pump is also needed.

A microwave high voltage transformer will not be sufficient for doing fusion either.

Read the forum FAQs about what is required.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
TerryJSaunders

Post by TerryJSaunders »

Thank you. I'm going though a lot of the faq materials and seeing what I have on hand. I got my NRL Plasma book in this week. I don't think even my wire welder is useful for these projects.

At work we use Aro air driven diaphragm pumps and 6 gallon lobster pot to act as a catch chamber for vacuum fixturing. We get -1 bar or so on those setups. Very different than the high vacuum for a fusor.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

When I built fusor III in 1998, I went out and bought a $1400 Lincoln TIG welder and learned TIG over a couple of months well enough to weld up Fusor III and in 2004, Fusor IV. TIG is the welder of choice on Stainless.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
TerryJSaunders

Post by TerryJSaunders »

thanks. It is a great investment for sure. I never really got into welding, mostly did weld prep and finishing as an apprentice. I have a friend who works at Kimball Physics. They go nice work but out of my price range.

I've known about fusors for years now. I looked into it after watching one of robert bussard google talks. I've worked in job shops so there is a lot of time to listen to things. I've just about finished a mechanical design program though my local CC. After reading some interesting threads, I will say that I do have and read a third edition copy of the landish book.

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”