Hello from the Bay Area in California

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Alex Vargas

Hello from the Bay Area in California

Post by Alex Vargas »

My name is Alex Vargas and I'm a 22 year old undergraduate Physics student at San Jose State University in San Jose, California in the US. I'm currently working as a researcher in a Solid State Physics lab focusing on thin films. I'm currently trying to enroll in Master's programs with a similar focus or in condensed matter with a magnetism focus.

While working in my lab, we have used a diffusion pump which ended up breaking and I am currently trying to refurbish a Varian V550 pump to replace the diffusion pump. I am still new to the fusor scene but I am interested in using these forums to help me learn. This is both a personal interest and potential research interest.
Roberto Ferrari

Re: Hello from the Bay Area in California

Post by Roberto Ferrari »

Welcome Alex!

Diffusion pumps mostly go dead by a open heater, easily replaceable.
Some brands use a glass window to monitor oil level and may go cracked.
I used to recover them grinding out the small flange that holds the glass and sealing the hole with a TIG welded plate and back to work.
Good luck!
Roberto
Dennis P Brown

Re: Hello from the Bay Area in California

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Glad you are pursuing a physics degree but generally, unless you are not sure of an area to study, a master's degree is not useful (it carries no significant value as a terminal degree); mostly it just delays your real degree.

Mr. Ferrari is correct - diffusion pumps are very easy to repair since their failure modes are extremely limited and rather low cost/easy to repair; turbo's however, are rather difficult since they have many failure modes and not all can be repaired; and worse, often the repair parts/cost is almost as much as a used pump that works. If you are doing thin coatings and the diffusion pump does not have a cryo-trap, a turbo can offer far superior (cleaner) films.

There is a wealth of good information in each FAQ area and of course, many posts dealing with vacuum systems and even some thin film posts.

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”