Neutrons!

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Garrett Young

Re: Neutrons!

Post by Garrett Young »

I modified my 60kV/11mA power supply to deliver a maximum of 26mA using the same driver design I engineered to fix the broken DXM70N600 supply.

Cathode Voltage: 53kV
Cathode Current: 16 mA
Pressure: 24 mTorr
Duration: 100 seconds
TIER: 2,021,688 (!!)
- Garrett
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Fabulous! I hope you are measuring and shielding your x-rays that are obviously coming out of the device with a vengeance!
You are into a serious voltage and current level now where x-rays are a significant hazard.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Garrett Young

Post by Garrett Young »

Absolutely. Before raising the voltage to 40kV and beyond, I installed a lead shield (1/16 inch) and now operate the device at a greater distance. I have a 200 mRem dosimeter and survey meter that I use to monitor x-rays.

Side Note: In my last post, I didn't include units for the TIER number. It is indeed neutrons per second.
- Garrett
Garrett Young

Post by Garrett Young »

NEW Personal Best!

Cathode Voltage: 52kV
Cathode Current: 12 mA
Pressure: 30 mTorr
Duration: 25 seconds
TIER (n/sec): 2,703,420 - electronic detection, 2,750,000 - dosimeter
Record-25June2017.png
Note: The RMS voltage and current isn't being calculated correctly (artificially low)
- Garrett
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

That is fabulous! A record for so small a chamber.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jean Paris

Post by Jean Paris »

Hi,

All pictures and pdfs link are dead (Sadly)

This post was referenced in one FAQ.

J
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Sorry 'bout that. Garrett seems to come and go, he may be gone forever. As such, the images are just gone forever unless Garrett returns and has retained all of his excellent images. We suffered a massive loss of images last year in changing internet providers. I an a few others spent a good deal of time restoring our personal images. I spent three weeks trying to restore the FAQs, which are mostly done now.

Sorry,

Richard Hull

Return to “Images du Jour”