Brainstorming on creating deuterons!

This forum is for other possible methods for fusion such as Sonolumenescense, Cold Fusion, CANR/LENR or accelerator fusion. It should contain all theory, discussions and even construction and URLs related to "other than fusor, fusion".
Sven Andersson

Brainstorming on creating deuterons!

Post by Sven Andersson »

I want to create a large population of deuterons from D2 gas at 1-10 Pa (then I intend to try higher pressures) via some mechanism. But I don't know what mechanism yet. Something that a hobbyist could build or buy on eBay or scavenge...

First I thought about using electron bombardment. However, it seems tricky all this with Tungsten filaments, that need to be activated and coated etc.

UV-light would probably not work. However a UV-laser would. The question remains of course how large the population of deuterons actually would be. The beam is narrow and the cross section for complete ionization/fragmentation of D2 is perhaps not so great.

One method I thought about is simply an electric arc across two electrodes. And then switch it off. There will then be (probably) a significant deuteron population for some time, because recombination to molecules and atoms takes time.

And I should add what I intend to do with the deuterons; apply an electric field of several kV across the plasma and observe if fusion happens.

The volume of plasma with deuterons should be relatively large (a cubic centimeter or larger) and also as cold as possible. Electrons may be quite warm as long as the deuterons stay cold. Electron bombardment should create such a situation.

Any input welcome!

Sven

P.S. Robert Tubbs has already done this and filmed it. Check out his "DC Magnetron Ion Source" on YouTube. First the ion source is on (only). No fusion. At 00:35 he turns on the extraction voltage (the main grid; 50-70 kV?) and there is fusion galore; see the snowstorm!

Return to “Other Forms of Fusion - Theory, Construction, Discussion, URLs”