Use UV-C lamp to dissociate D2 molecules?

This forum is for other possible methods for fusion such as Sonolumenescense, Cold Fusion, CANR/LENR or accelerator fusion. It should contain all theory, discussions and even construction and URLs related to "other than fusor, fusion".
Sven Andersson

Use UV-C lamp to dissociate D2 molecules?

Post by Sven Andersson »

Anyone can buy UV-C lamps with a wavelength of 254 nm. Now, the energy to dissociate molecular hydrogen to atomic hydrogen is 4.52 eV, which corresponds to a wavelength of 274 nm. So a UV-C lamp should do the trick. The question is how efficiently? Cross sections? The easiest way to get an answer may be to try.

Here's my setup for producing deuterons: UV-C (the bare lamp should be inside the reaction chamber filled with D2 gas) to dissociate the D2 and at the same time electron bombardment from a heated filament cathode (and a voltage of several kV between anode and cathode) and alpha particles from Am-241 buttons, that I scavenged. Should be reasonable population of deuterons then.

Pressure? I will try with 1-10 Pa, and then upward to 100 Pa and higher and see what happens. If anything.

Comments?

Anyone in Europe who can sell me deuterium gas? Or in the US?
John Futter

Re: Use UV-C lamp to dissociate D2 molecules?

Post by John Futter »

Sven
Yes you can disassociate the h2 to h but it is not ionised
I gave you the first ionisation energy in my previous answer.
Yes electrons with a few tens of volts of energy will ionise your hydrogen. No amount of UVc will ionise it. If it did we would have one hell of a pink sky above us.
Please stop flogging this dead horse

Return to “Other Forms of Fusion - Theory, Construction, Discussion, URLs”