Ion Pumping

This forum is for other possible methods for fusion such as Sonolumenescense, Cold Fusion, CANR/LENR or accelerator fusion. It should contain all theory, discussions and even construction and URLs related to "other than fusor, fusion".
Royce Jones

Ion Pumping

Post by Royce Jones »

Has anyone looked into ion pumping as a way to stimulate fusion? By pumping I mean pumping the ions in and out of a plasma using electrostatic or magnetic forces to stimulate collisions.
Dennis P Brown

Re: Ion Pumping

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Not real clear on what you mean about using an ion pump but a standard "Ion Pump" is used for ultra-high vacuum work (taking a high vacuum of say 10^-6 torr to 10^-8 torr or so and holding it) and will not work with any fusor (which runs in the micron range.) AS for collisions, at microns that is all that occurs in a fusor at those pressures (lol) - it isn't increases collisions of ions but getting fusion to occur which even at microns of pressure occurs so rarely that it is fantastically tiny compared to the number of ions and collisions occurring (and why even the best fusors produce maybe 10^6 neutrons/sec.)
Tom McCarthy

Post by Tom McCarthy »

I don't think Royce is referring to our idea of pumping, Dennis.

Royce, would I be correct in saying that you are thinking about inducing a magnetic, or electrostatic field in order to affect the distribution of ions in the Fusor chamber? As in artificially (if 'artificial' is a term to use in Fusor work) manipulating the movement of ions using an outside magnet, electromagnet, or EMF source. This is similar to some of the work done by a man that has helped me out a lot, Dr Patrick McCarthy - no relation of mine! While he doesn't actually work with fusion in these experiments (he does work with the Max Planck Institute for Plasma Physics' Tokamak on other work though), you might find his work of interest: http://physics.ucc.ie/?member=dr-patrick-mccarthy

Correct me if I'm wrong on what you're trying to say Royce!

Tom
Royce Jones

Post by Royce Jones »

Tom, you are correct. By ion pumping I am referring to pumping the ions in and out of the plasma or ion cloud to stimulate compression and collision.

Return to “Other Forms of Fusion - Theory, Construction, Discussion, URLs”