Get 8 megavolts to useful AC electricity?

It may be difficult to separate "theory" from "application," but let''s see if this helps facilitate the discussion.
Sven Andersson

Get 8 megavolts to useful AC electricity?

Post by Sven Andersson »

If a fusion reactor could be constructed that runs on Li-7 and hydrogen, and if the energy produced by that reactor where extracted with a direct charging setup, like in a nuclear battery emitting alpha particles, the voltage produced would be the stupendous voltage of 8 mega volts. Now, how do you get that into AC? Could an electric DC engine be constructed that runs on 8 mega volts? Or some other setup be used that turns 8 mega volts into useful electricity?
Richard Hull

Re: Get 8 megavolts to useful AC electricity?

Post by Richard Hull »

Direct conversion is another one of those much touted, little discussed and never constructed little blocks in the fusion futurist's flow chart on how they will save the world if you just give them cash.

In theory, you would never deal with such voltages, but decelerate and charge in several more intermediate voltage stages, with some loss at each stage. Once you have static electric charge on hand in the claimed amounts. A DC to AC electronic conversion system can be formed. Needless to say, all of this would be a relative engineering snap compared to getting successful fusion for which there is zero in sight or on the horizon, no matter how far you might see.

Note that the power industry is and has been working with HV DC power transmission for some time, converting back to AC for local distribution. It is not a common thing yet. They are sort of diddling with it at present.

Forever forget direct conversion! Instead, concentrate on real easy, filthy, messy, neutronic, D-T fusion first with Li-P being one not worth considering. Do and show us the easiest of all fusions first and come forth with real usable, water boiling power and only then muse on the next impossiblity.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Sven Andersson

Post by Sven Andersson »

Richard Hull wrote:...concentrate on real easy, filthy, messy, neutronic, D-T fusion first with Li-P being one not worth considering. Do and show us the easiest of all fusions first and come forth with real usable, water boiling power and only then muse on the next impossiblity.
I will begin fusing in August. Proof of principle and there will be no boiling water first. I will put it on YouTube for everyone to see. But first I must apply for a patent, of course!

Pray that I succeed! We may be entering some sort of Dalton or Maunder minimum now. Record low temperatures here in Sweden right now in May; people are using winter clothes still! The sun is up to something and the next sun spot cycle there may be no spots whatsoever. Gone. We may return to the 1600s when the Thames froze etc.

At the same time imagine what would happen if there is some sort of disturbance to our supply of middle eastern oil! IS is fighting close to Saudi oil fields and Kuwait. So pray that I succeed!
Doug Browning

Post by Doug Browning »

" Record low temperatures here in Sweden right now in May;......"

It is called the Atlantic Duodecal Oscillation. Nothing to worry about. Sky is not falling. Enjoy the cool weather while it lasts.

Return to “Fusor and/or General Fusion Theory (& FAQs)”