Lets put our machine X-ray doses into context

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
John Futter

Lets put our machine X-ray doses into context

Post by John Futter »

How did the regulations come about
well it all started here
http://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/hist ... -radiation

read it a check out the doses this guy gave himself
It did shorten his life as he only reached 102
ian_krase

Re: Lets put our machine X-ray doses into context

Post by ian_krase »

Uh, wow.

I take it that extremities are *vastly* less vulnerable to ionizing radiation than the brain and the chest organs?
Richard Hull

Re: Lets put our machine X-ray doses into context

Post by Richard Hull »

The brain is rather insensitive to radiation, compared to one of the most rad sensitive organs we have, the eyes. I have a WWII erfle eyepiece from a gunsight that has a thorium glass lens which reads about 2.6 mrem/hr, (nasty), and you jammed your open eye into this rubber cup less than 1/2" from your eyeball. Of course even that, given the infrequent firing of the weapon, would have little or no real effect.

There is much written about rad sensitivities of various pieces/parts of our bodies. Many focus on the gonadal dose but this is really only needed for those folks under 45, (most rad workers and children). Only chronic heavy doses need be of much concern as related to the well being of people immersed in rad fields. Acute doses, unless massive and above LD50, need not worry you. Here is where the reader needs to know what the radiation biz words "chronic" and "acute" mean regarding exposures.

I would not worry about a rather nasty hit of 10R whole body acute absorbed dose. There is a good chance you would not even have any reaction to it. There is virtually no way for any of us to get this level of exposure unless extreme stupidity entered the picture. I doubt if anyone could pick up an acute 1R whole body dose.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”