Cautionary tale about vibration dampening foam

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Tisha Hayes

Cautionary tale about vibration dampening foam

Post by Tisha Hayes »

Last night I fired up one of my neutron detector probes and was quite surprised that it pulled down the high voltage. Taking the probe apart I found that the foam that was near the C connector had turned in to a black sticky (partially conductive) mess.

I have seen this problem before; in bandpass filters for some radio equipment that was manufactured back in the 1950's.

The neutron probe has a manufacturing date of 1984. The foam died a pretty early death in comparison to my other experiences.

I would suggest that if you have any instrumentation that uses these types of foams to check and see if it has deteriorated before tossing out the gear.

Once I removed the foam and cleaned it off with a solvent the probe worked fine and the high voltage is not being dragged down.

Ms. Tisha Hayes
Lookout Mountain Alabama
Andrew Seltzman

Re: Cautionary tale about vibration dampening foam

Post by Andrew Seltzman »

Hi Tisha,

Yep that problem's pretty common with old equipment, good catch in fixing your probe.

Welcome to the forum, please take a moment to post an introduction in the "please introduce yourself" section as per forum rules, and good luck with your future fusor work.
viewforum.php?f=45
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”