ST-360 HV Supply and Counter Unit Repaired

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Dennis P Brown

ST-360 HV Supply and Counter Unit Repaired

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Well, after a few months of doing other things I decided to try and repair my ST-360 again. The first time I damaged the unit I had blown the diode voltage limiter. So, I decided to bite the bullet and replace that component again and not mess with testing - lucky, I ordered three (down to just one, now.) Using my microscope and the finest soldering iron I had, I again removed the previous diode (a very tiny three pin micro-chip) and reinstalled a new one (not too difficult under the high mag of a microscope but positioning isn't fun.)

The ST-360 unit appears to be working again.

To test the scintillation port (which feeds into the special amp using the voltage limiting diode chip) for the unit I installed my scintillation detector (designed for a Ludlum Geiger counter), set the voltage and let it count the standard room background level (102 counts/min.) This was the same value I have gotten in the past - that was a good start. Then I used my uranium sample and it gave a reading of about 320 counts/min. Again, this agree's closely with past tests.

Aside: Having a uranium sample is extremely useful for calibration testing to give a clear signal compared to background. I would suggest that someone considering getting or building a detector use this method to confirm operation - useless for neutrons except for very high end counters but very useful for testing standard geiger and scintillation units with its daughter products/gamma's.

I keep my fusor operational (once a week I do a run down to 10^-6 torr) so next week I might do a fusor run with deuterium and see if my Russian made tube is still working; the issue last time that damaged my ST-360, I believe, was either the commercial three-way co-axial connector failed (big time), and/or my voltage divider wasn't sufficient; one of these apparently killed the diode limiter. I have since made new and better units myself and installed them.

Even if the Russian tube still works (and really, I don't see why it wouldn't) I have all the equipment needed to assemble a proper neutron scintillation detector - the special plastic, a photo-multiplier tube, and a high voltage feed supply/coupler circuit board so I just need to hook it all up and package the stuff together. After I install a co-axial cable output I should be able to test it with the ST-360 with the fusor running. However, that project may be a few months since I have a lot of other projects and many other issues/jobs/work to do. But it is very nice to have repaired the ST-360 again and have it available - a good counter/high voltage feed system with display is very nice. In any case, I will strive to be far more careful with the unit from now on ...lol. Lesson, I hope, better learned ... .
Dennis P Brown

Re: ST-360 HV Supply and Counter Unit Repaired

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Quick update - either my ST-360 is now very unstable (but works well as a gamma ray detector) or else my new neutron detector connectors (rather complex, unfortunately) to the neutron detector tube are poor or both. Not gonna get any results until I build a low voltage, low noise system or build my neutron photo-multiplier ... delays again.

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”