New X-Ray Transformer

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Cameron Palte

New X-Ray Transformer

Post by Cameron Palte »

Hello Everyone,

I finally made the jump and purchased a high-voltage x-ray transformer for the project. Capable of outputting 60 kV at 50mA though I will never run it that high.

I'll need to take it apart and put oil in it - looks quite good.

I just have one question. As you can see in image 771, the input cable looks to be a bit strange. Does anyone have advice on how I would go about hooking up the input cable to a variac? The input has two crimped wires hooked up to what I believe are called spade terminals (the circular ones). It also has what appears to be some sort of 8-pin connector.

Thanks,
Cameron
Attachments
IMG_0772[1].JPG
IMG_0771[1].JPG
IMG_0769[1].JPG
Richard Hull

Re: New X-Ray Transformer

Post by Richard Hull »

Does the phenolic board have any markings on it? Show use a close up image of that.

Odd ball voltages.........

Apparently this has the filament transformer for the X-ray tube in it as well. You will not need the 80 volts required for that, at least.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Cameron Palte

Post by Cameron Palte »

Sorry for my ignorance but what is the phenolic board - is that the redish electrical board on top?

The voltages are a bit oddball - I figured a variac for input would take care of that.

The guy who sold it was actually planning on turning it into a functioning x-ray machine again but changed his plans.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

A 240 volt variac will do the trick, just put a screw stop on the knob at 170 volts.

The phenolic board is the one on top where all the leads connect. From what I can tell, you are going to have to meter that puppy out. No details on what is what. on the board.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Cameron Palte

Post by Cameron Palte »

Richard Hull wrote:A 240 volt variac will do the trick, just put a screw stop on the knob at 170 volts.

The phenolic board is the one on top where all the leads connect. From what I can tell, you are going to have to meter that puppy out. No details on what is what. on the board.

Richard Hull
Yes I will look for a suitable variac on ebay that can also do the current - I don't want to spend more than a few hundred $

The board does not have any markings - not a marking to be seen. Should I just try metering out every possible combination.

Finished building the work table. 4' by 8' $100.

This weekend I'm going to by the next batch of equipment - some more tools and everything I need for the demo fusor (going to build this before the actual fusion reactor). I'll build that over the next few weeks.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Just not enough clean imagery of the board to help out here. Metering can only get you so far. You may have to lift the lid and see where the wires from the board taps go. They would all be lower voltages though for sure as they run into the low voltage plug. The assumption is that the two big lugs are for the 170 volts to the main transformer.

There are about 4 different ways such systems can be configured.

Richard Hull
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

Looks like there are only 4 wires going to the black honda connector. The two big ones will be the primary and the two smaller ones are probably for monitoring current or voltage. Hook it up to a variac and see what happens.

200v is japan standard medium voltage. Where in the US we use 120/240/480 they use 100/200/400. Japan also uses both 50 and 60 hz, different parts of the county have different frequencies. So possibly after some ballasting or something the 200 gets dropped down to 170.

That HV connector looks like the same one on my Hitachi SEM.

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”