Cheapest vacuum solution

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
siestacat

Cheapest vacuum solution

Post by siestacat »

Looking into a fusor as my final high school physics project of the year, but I'd like to make an actual working one instead of a demo model that doesn't actually do any fusion. What is the absolute cheapest vacuum route to take? Most anything within my price range that I've seen thus far (I have to buy this all myself) can't get anywhere near the pressures needed... is this too expensive of a project? Completely willing to scrounge/build whatever I can, time is of no issue (many months to complete).
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Re: Cheapest vacuum solution

Post by Frank Sanns »

Please read the forum rules and follow them. Specifically, use your real full name and introduce yourself in the Please Introduce Yourself forum before posting. Anybody not following the simple rules will have their posts deleted and their account deactivated.

Thank you.

Frank Sanns
Site Administrator
siestacat

Post by siestacat »

All set, done! Sorry, glossed over that bit. Thanks for the heads up!
Nicholas Bobchik

Post by Nicholas Bobchik »

I have heard rumor that an air conditioner pump can be made to work somehow.
I'm doing this in high school too, and I'm new to the fusor so I don't know if this is outrageously false and I haven't had much time to research it.
Alexandru_Calburean

Post by Alexandru_Calburean »

Nicholas,

Posting your own questions in other people's threads is generally rude. If you have a question make a new post but please use the search function before. I have already addressed your question under your other post, read the faqs and use the search function. I'll answer again just to be sure, This: http://inspectapedia.com/aircond/ACComp ... 50_DJF.jpg will not work but a 2 stage one of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/media/cata ... _11372.jpg might work. I would suggest looking on ebay for a used (good condition) lab vacuum pump before looking at AC pumps.

All the best,
~Alex C.
Austin_Bennett

Post by Austin_Bennett »

This single stage vacuum on eBay is only like 50$ there are very few left, it can get a vacuum down to 5 Pascals, which is 37.25 microns I believe, (some random decimal place at the end I remembered this off the top of my head)

I am not sure if this pump will be able to do fusion, it comes very close to the requirements. But it should DEFINITELY work for a demo fusor. Have fun

http://m.ebay.com/itm/181731383885

Cheers,
Austin
Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman »

The tip about a $50 rotary vacuum pump is welcome, but it's ephemeral (and a noob thing), so Construction is the wrong forum. Nest time please select "Sale and Trade".

It's nice that you found a closely related old thread to put it in,
but in my opinion that doesn't justify dilution of the construction forum.

What's the relationship between Austin Bennett and Herbert Smith?
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”